Trump says he’ll ‘hold off’ on attacking Iran on Tuesday but tells military to be ready ‘on a moment’s notice’

Trump Says He’ll ‘Hold Off’ on Attacking Iran on Tuesday, but Tells Military to Stay Vigilant

Trump says he ll hold off – President Donald Trump declared on Monday that he would postpone a planned military strike on Iran, originally set for Tuesday, citing requests from regional leaders. This delay, he said, comes as negotiations to end the conflict grow more “serious.” In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump emphasized that while the attack was temporarily paused, the armed forces remained on high alert, ready to act at a moment’s notice if an agreement fails to materialize.

Regional Leaders’ Influence on the Decision

According to Trump, the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates urged him to delay the operation. He stated that these nations had expressed optimism about the potential for a deal acceptable to the U.S. and its Middle East allies. “The Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN,” Trump reiterated, underscoring his insistence on preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear capabilities.

“We were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow. I put it off for a little while — hopefully, maybe, forever — but possibly for a little while, because we’ve had very big discussions with Iran, and we’ll see what they amount to,” Trump said.

He also noted that additional countries had requested a temporary pause in the campaign, though their identities were not disclosed. “I was called by these three countries, plus others, and they’re dealing directly with our people, and right now Iran, and there seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out,” he told CNN’s Kristen Holmes. If the Gulf states are satisfied with the peace proposal, Trump implied, the U.S. would align with their stance.

Strategic Delays and the Clock Ticking

Trump warned Iran on Sunday that the “clock is ticking” for a deal, with the threat of resuming the military campaign looming if progress stalls. However, Iran’s most recent proposal did not address key issues, according to a person familiar with the talks. The ongoing dispute over nuclear enrichment remains a central obstacle, with Iran’s offer failing to meet the U.S.’s expectations for significant concessions.

“This time was a little bit different from previous instances when I thought Iran was close to an agreement,” Trump remarked. “It’s a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything.”

Earlier in the week, Iran had responded to some U.S. concerns through Pakistani mediators, but American officials remained unconvinced. They argued that the latest proposal did not offer substantial compromises to alter Trump’s position. The exact changes Iran made to its offer were unclear, though Trump has repeatedly stressed his red lines, including halting nuclear material enrichment and Iran surrendering its stockpile of nearly weapons-grade uranium.

Historical Context and Current Challenges

Trump’s decision to delay the attack echoes a similar pause in April when he extended the ceasefire. At that time, he attributed the delay to internal divisions within Tehran and cited Pakistan’s mediation as a key factor. “Pakistan asked me to hold our attack on the country of Iran,” he recalled. “I wanted to wait for a unified proposal.”

Yet, as the war enters its third month, Trump has grown frustrated with the slow pace of talks. The ongoing conflict has already contributed to rising gas prices and a decline in his economic approval ratings. Domestic pressure, combined with international negotiations, has placed Trump in a delicate position. While he remains open to diplomatic solutions, he has also made it clear that the military remains a viable option.

Preparedness and Flexibility in Strategy

Despite the delay, Trump emphasized that his team had not abandoned the offensive. “I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached,” he wrote in his post.

This approach reflects Trump’s strategy of maintaining flexibility. By keeping the military ready, he ensures that the U.S. can swiftly transition to a full-scale campaign if needed. The delay on Tuesday is described as a temporary pause, though the potential for an extended hold is also in play. Trump suggested that the Gulf states might request a longer delay, depending on the progress of negotiations.

Broader Implications of the Delay

The decision to hold off on the attack has sparked debate about the effectiveness of the U.S. strategy in the region. Analysts have pointed out that while the delay could provide Iran with an opportunity to adjust its position, it also risks prolonging the conflict. The U.S. has already invested considerable resources in the campaign, and the financial strain has been evident in recent weeks.

Moreover, the delay raises questions about the coordination between Trump’s administration and its allies. The Saudi, Qatari, and UAE leaders are seen as key players in the negotiations, yet their involvement has been intermittent. Trump’s statement that they are “dealing directly with our people” suggests a renewed effort to align interests, but the outcome remains uncertain.

Future Steps and Unanswered Questions

After meeting with top members of his national security team over the weekend, Trump is expected to reconvene the group early in the week to determine the next course of action. The president has made it clear that he is not limiting himself to a single strategy. “I’ve given the order to be ready for any scenario,” he stated, leaving the door open for both diplomatic resolution and military escalation.

As the situation unfolds, the U.S. and its allies will closely monitor Iran’s response to the latest proposal. The success of the negotiations could determine whether the conflict continues to escalate or begins to stabilize. However, with Trump’s approval ratings under pressure and the economy showing signs of strain, the stakes have never been higher. The pause on Tuesday is a strategic move, but whether it leads to a lasting agreement remains to be seen.

In conclusion, Trump’s announcement to hold off on the attack demonstrates his ability to adapt to changing circumstances. While he has given the military a brief reprieve, the threat of renewed conflict remains active. The U.S. continues to push for Iran’s concessions, and the outcome of these talks will shape the future of the region. As Trump noted, the priority remains clear: preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons while balancing the demands of allies and the domestic political landscape.